Thursday, April 24, 2014

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

One of the best things about Jim's new job is that he and Drew are in the same building all day, and they can ride to school together.  They leave pretty early, and since we try to let Drew sleep as late as possible, I try to have breakfasts that the guys can grab and eat on their drive.  Often, they take sandwich bags of dry cereal (they both like it that way) and a beverage, but lately, I've been trying to add muffins into the breakfast rotation.  I bake them ahead and freeze them, so I can just pull out the number I need each morning and thaw them in the microwave while the guys get ready.
I tried this muffin recipe recently, and we all liked them.  Drew ate three the first time I made them!  I've made them several times, sometimes substituting unsweetened applesauce for part or all of the bananas.  I add extra cinnamon and some nutmeg when I use applesauce.
Here's how I make them:

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

2 cups white whole wheat flour (My mom gave me some that she ground herself, and I keep it in my freezer.)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large, ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 3/4 cups)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla
Turbinado sugar to sprinkle on top of muffins before baking

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.
Peel the bananas and mash with a fork.  In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas, brown sugar, oil, egg yogurt, and vanilla.  Mix until well-combined.  Slowly add dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
Fill muffin liners three-quarters full.  Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.  Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 23 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.  Store, covered, at room temperature, or freeze.  Makes 18 muffins.

No comments: