Thursday, April 10, 2014

Sunday Lunch - Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

We almost always eat lunch at home on Sundays, and I like to make things that I can serve fairly soon after we get home from church.  I use my slow cooker almost every Sunday, and I'm always looking for tasty new slow cooker recipes to add to the rotation.  I found this recipe for Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken last year, and it is one of our favorite Sunday lunches now.  I serve it over rice with some stir-fried vegetables and potstickers on the side.  Delicious!
Here's how I make it:

Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Diet Mt. Dew
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.  Place chicken in the slow cooker.  (I often use chicken straight from the freezer without thawing it first, and it works perfectly.)  Mix brown sugar, vinegar, Mt. Dew, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Remove chicken from slow cooker and pour remaining sauce into a saucepan.  Place saucepan over high heat.  Mix corn starch and water, add to sauce in saucepan, and mix well.  Let sauce come to a boil, and boil for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to thicken and become a glaze.  Pour sauce over chicken and serve over rice.

No comments: