Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Signs of Fall at Our House This Weekend

This weekend, the weather got noticeably cooler, and it just felt like Fall. I decided that since it is September, and it felt like Fall, we would act like it was Fall at our house. I pulled out my Fall decorations. One of my favorites is these blocks on my shelf in the living room. Jim cut them for me from an old board, and I painted them. I used Mod Podge to attach the patterned paper, and I covered chipboard letters with patterned paper and adhered them to the blocks (also using Mod Podge). I tied some raffia around the first block. It was a fun easy project!
I also love this picture of Drew in the leaves. He was about six months old there, and he was teething very badly, but I didn't realize it. This picture was taken right before he had a huge meltdown in a thrift store dressing room! I had tried on a dress, and before I could change out of it, he started crying hard. I couldn't get him to stop, and if I put him down to try to change my clothes, he would scream even harder. People kept knocking on the dressing room door wondering if he was ok. I was so embarrassed! I finally got him out of the store. He sobbed the whole way home, and when we finally got in the house, I saw his first two little teeth pushing through his gums on the bottom. A little Tylenol helped tremendously! Another favorite decoration is my little fabric pumpkins. I have made many of these throughout the past several years - for myself and for family and friends. I have this group in my kitchen and another little group in my living room. The little ceramic jack-o-lantern is from my favorite thrift store.
Since it is Fall, I made an apple pie, and it was delicious! I use the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook recipe, and we love it. I had a Pillsbury pie crust in my freezer, so I used that. I like to take the little bit of extra pastry dough from the bottom crust, roll it out, and cut out an apple with a cookie cutter to decorate the top of my apple pies.
I made soup for dinner on Saturday. I made my mom's Fajita Soup. I've been putting our leftover fajita meat and rice in the freezer all summer, so I was happy to be able to use it!
We enjoyed watching some college football on Saturday too! It was the perfect Fall weekend here at our house, and after a long, hot summer, we are excited that Fall is here!

1 comment:

Rob said...

I wish I could come to your house this weekend, Meg! Can't wait for your visit here later this fall!!! It's starting to feel a little fall-like here too, now that we're pretty well out of the 90's. :-) Mom broke out the fall decorations yesterday with our progressive dinner last night.