Monday, January 12, 2015

Turkey Chili

Like many people around the country, we have been experiencing some very cold weather this past week.  I subbed for Drew's class three days last week, and I had to finish each of those days by standing outside in in the cold in car line at dismissal time.  Each day, I came inside chilled, and I struggled to warm up.
For the past week, I have been craving warmth and hot drinks and foods.  Jim brought me a peppermint mocha one morning that was warm and delicious, and a kind school mother brought hot chocolate for all the teachers in car line one afternoon.  Both of those hot drinks were just perfect for this weather!   I also made a delicious new turkey chili recipe last weekend, and I enjoyed it all week for lunch.
I made a few tweaks to this recipe, and here is how I made it.

Turkey Chili

1.3 pounds ground turkey breast
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 (15 oz.) can black beans
1 (28 oz.) can pinto beans
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin

Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet over medium high heat.  As the turkey starts to brown, add onions and cook until soft.  Once the turkey is browned and the onions are soft, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until garlic is fragrant.  Drain any grease and place mixture into a slow cooker.

Add beans, chilies, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices to the meat mixture and stir to combine.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.

Serve topped with shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese and diced purple onions.

I hope you enjoy this chili as much as I do!

No comments: