Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Last Day of First Grade

 Today was Drew's last day of first grade, and the elementary students had an awards program this morning.  Drew made the A/B Honor Roll this year.  He got a B+ in Handwriting one quarter that kept him from being on the A Honor Roll.  He did very well this year and was at the top of his class in every subject except Handwriting!  We are very proud of him, and we will definitely be working on his Handwriting.  :)
 Drew had a wonderful teacher this year, and he loved first grade!
We wanted to do something special to thank Drew's teacher for a great year.  I looked to my trusty source - Pinterest (of course!) - for an idea.  I found this tub full of lemon items and thought it looked fun and summery.  I also knew that I already had a few lemon-scented items in my gift closet (I buy things when I find a good sale and stash them on a shelf in my linen closet.), so I decided to go with the lemon theme.  Drew and I went shopping one night this week to get a few extra items for the bin.  We bought the bin from the Dollar Spot at Target, and we filled it with lemon hand soap, a lemon drop candle, Crystal Light lemonade mix, lemon flavored gum, a lemon-mint air freshener refill, and a box of Lemon Heads.  I also baked her a loaf of Lemon Almond Bread.

 We wrote her a little note, and Drew made her a card.  We slipped those into the bin too.
Here's what Drew wrote to his teacher.  So sweet.  :)
This has been a very good school year in many ways, but it has also been a tough year in some ways too.  Jim started as principal in November, and it has been an up-hill battle to get through this year.  I am so proud of his accomplishments and his graciousness in a very difficult situation.  There have been some disappointments and hurts along the way, but there have also been many victories - both small and large, and God has blessed.  We are so thankful that God has brought us through this year, and we are looking forward to a fresh start next school year.  Now to relax a bit and spend some extra time as a family this summer!

No comments: