Friday, June 17, 2011

My Favorite Potato Salad

Jim and I are part of the Young Married Sunday School class at our church, and this summer, several of the ladies in our class are having a Bible study one morning a week. Our Sunday School teacher's wife is hosting and leading the Bible study at her house. We are working through the book, Lies Women Believe : And the Truth That Sets Them Free. All the ladies in the study are moms of small children, so while we meet, the children play with a couple of baby sitters, and then after the study is finished, we all eat lunch together. I have really been enjoying the study and am thankful for this opportunity!
Our Bible study lunches consist of hot dogs and macaroni and cheese and then a variety of dishes that the moms bring each week. I have been enjoying making some of my favorite dishes that I don't normally make at home, since they aren't Jim's favorites. This week, I made my favorite potato salad, and I thought I would share the recipe.
Dill and Sour Cream Potato Salad

3 pounds unpeeled new potatoes (5 or 6 regular)
2/3 cup mayonnaise
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. dried dill
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
Cook potatoes until tender. Drain. Cool slightly. Cut into quarters or eighths. Combine with remaining ingredients. Stir gently. Can garnish with additional dill. Serve immediately or chill.
My mom found this recipe in a Southern Living cookbook several years ago, and it is absolutely delicious! I love it warm (right after I mix it up), but I usually serve it chilled. I use light mayo and sour cream, and it still tastes great! I ran the onions through the food processor this time instead of chopping them, and I really liked the resulting texture.

No comments: