Sunday, February 26, 2012

She's Here!

Our c-section was scheduled for Tuesday morning, February 14, and we were ready and excited, but we had one last test the day before the scheduled date. Because of the date discrepancy between ultrasounds, my doctor scheduled me for an amnio to test the maturity of the baby's lungs. I was dreading the amnio, but it really wasn't that bad. The only pain was the needle prick, and it was very quick. The doctor was able to tell us by sight that she thought the fluid looked mature, but we got a confirmation call that afternoon. The c-section was a go for the following morning!
Here I am the day of the amnio - 39 weeks! The morning of the c-section was a little snowy. I took this picture of our house as we pulled out of our driveway. We had to be at the hospital at 8:45, so we had Drew spend the night at Jim's mom's house on Monday night so that the morning of the surgery would be a little simpler.

When we got to labor and delivery, we were met by our nurse, who was hilarious! She really helped us relax during the surgery prep. Once we got to triage, I changed into a hospital gown and got hooked up to some machines. I got my iv and catheter, answered a lot of health history questions, and had a quick ultrasound to check the baby's position. While we were waiting, a nurse came in with a vase full of roses for me. Jim had had them sent to the hospital - it was Valentine's Day after all. :)

Once my doctor arrived, he asked if we could get started early. The OR wasn't in use, so they got things started about 20 minutes early. Our surgery team was great! Everything was so smooth and easy compared to last time. The anesthesiologist was the department head, and my nurse told me that I was going to get a fabulous spinal from him. I didn't feel anything! The nurse anesthetist talked to me throughout the surgery - explaining what was happening and answering my questions.

As the doctors were pulling baby out, we heard them say that she had a lot of hair. We couldn't wait to see her! They had a difficult time getting her out (it was the same way with Drew), and they had to push on my ribs (I did feel that!). Madeleine Grace Hawkins was born at 10:48, and she was perfect!

Madeleine's nurse talked to me before the surgery about a new program our hospital was starting that encourages mother/baby bonding and breastfeeding immediately after c-section birth. She asked if I would be interested in doing skin to skin and breastfeeding on the operating table while the doctors finished the surgery. I was excited to be able to experience this, and I was surprised to hear that I was going to be the first patient to participate in the program at our hospital! Since Madeleine was healthy, they cleaned her up just a bit and then brought her over and laid her on my shoulder. The nurse helped Madeleine latch on, and she latched without any trouble. She nursed for 20 minutes on the operating table, and then Jim got to hold her.

Our sweet girl.

Mommy, Daddy, and Maddie.

As the doctors finished up, Jim, Maddie, and Maddie's nurse went ahead to the recovery room to take Maddie's weight and measurements. Maddie weighed 7 pounds 6.6 ounces and was 20.25 inches long.

Maddie's nurse helped Jim do a little photo shoot.

Little hand

Little feet

Once I got to recovery, Maddie's nurse gave her a bath. Maddie did not enjoy her bath at all!

She cried and cried.

After the bath, I got to nurse Maddie for another 20 minutes in recovery before we went to our room.

Our scheduled c-section was such a wonderful experience and was so different from the emergency c-section I had with Drew. Later that night, I was able to get up out of bed, have my catheter removed, and start walking around. I really didn't have any bruising this time, which made getting up and down so much easier. We kept Maddie in the room with us that first night, and I was able to get up throughout the night to take care of her and to use the restroom without any help. I was tired, but I felt good!

I have lots more to share about our stay at the hospital and Maddie's first week. I will post more later this week!


Jessica said...

Congrats! Love the name, LOL! Glad to hear Mama and baby are both doing good!

bakscrap said...

Oh how wonderful Megan. Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us!

ina i Sewa said...

I congratulate You.

Carrie said...

Megan, so glad things went well. Your baby daughter is so beautiful.