Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First Day of School 2014/2015

After a busy summer of preparations, planning, and work for Jim and his staff, the new school year began yesterday!  Last year was a rough year in many, many ways, and everyone was looking forward to a fresh start this year.  Many families stuck it out through all of the transitions last year (not wanting to find a new school mid-year and waiting to see how things went with a new administrator), but Jim had no idea who would actually enroll for this new year.  He had heard that some people were leaving, and had assumed that others would, and in the end, some did.  However, a surprising number not only stayed, but also referred friends and family to the school as well.  Enrollment is much higher than anyone expected it to be, and several more students are visiting and testing this week after school has already started!  There is a spirit of excitement about the school that was missing last year, and the families that are there seem happy to be there.  It is such a wonderful difference!
Jim has worked incredibly hard since he became principal to do things right, make things better, and treat parents, students, and staff members kindly, fairly, and in a consistent, professional manner.  I am so, so proud of him and am thrilled to see that God is blessing his efforts.  
Drew started second grade yesterday!  I can't believe he is old enough to be a second grader!
 I love this guy, and I always miss him when he goes back to school!  He loves school, though, so I have an easier time letting him go since I know he is happy.
 He has a wonderful teacher this year, and we are excited about all the things he will do and learn in her class.
 Drew's class is the smallest in the elementary, with nine students, so I know he will be getting a lot of individual attention.  Six of the nine second graders are boys, so that will be lots of fun for Drew!
 Maddie loves to go visit Jim at school.  They walked around together the first morning of school while I took pictures for the school newsletter.  The secondary art teacher took this picture of them, and I love it!
Maddie also helped Daddy in the office.
 There are a couple little peg games in the office that Maddie loves to play.
We have been so busy in the past few weeks that I didn't have time to put together anything fancy for a first day gift for Drew's teacher.  I ended up grabbing her an 8-pack of Sharpies and some chocolate and tying it up with a ribbon and a tag.  I did break out my eyelet-setter and put an eyelet in the tag, but that was as fancy as I got this time!
We are excited for this school year and are praying that it will be a wonderful one!

No comments: