Friday, May 9, 2014

Baked Snickerdoodle Doughnuts

During Spring Break a few weeks ago, Jim and Drew wanted something fun for breakfast one morning, and they suggested that I make some doughnuts.  I did a quick search on Pinterest, and when I found this recipe, I knew it was the one I wanted to make.  I whipped up a batch, and we all loved them.  Drew ate 4 of them that morning!  I made them again later that week - they are a new favorite!
The doughnut batter has cinnamon in it, which gives the doughnuts themselves a snickerdoodle flavor.  They bake in the doughnut pan and come out light in color, not really browned much at all.
 After cooling them in the pan for a few minutes, you can pop them out, brush them with melted butter, and coat them in cinnamon sugar.
I made a double batch of these doughnuts this week and sent them to school for Teacher Appreciation Week.  They are delicious!
 Here's how I made them:

Baked Snickerdoodle Doughnuts

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup corn starch
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla, and gently mix, being careful not to over-mix.  Scoop batter into greased doughnut pans, filling each section about 2/3 full.  (I like to use a small cookie scoop for this part.)  Bake for about 10 minutes or until tops spring back when touched.  The doughnuts will not brown much, if at all.
Cool in pans for a few minutes, and then gently remove from pan.  (I carefully run a table knife around the outsides of each doughnut and then pop it out of the pan with the knife.)  Brush the top of each doughnut with melted butter, and then dip the buttered doughnut top in cinnamon sugar.  Serve warm.  Makes 1 dozen.

No comments: