Friday, February 18, 2011

A Rice Bag and a (R)ice Pack

One of my recent sewing projects has been rice bags. I've made about 7 in the past couple of months! I found the idea and tutorial here (another blog I've been loving recently!). I made them as Christmas gifts for all the ladies in my family, and I've been asked to make a few more. My mother-in-law's apartment building wants me to make some for them to sell at a fund-raiser!
These are very easy to make, and they are nice for aches and pains, or even to just warm yourself up. To use your rice bag, put it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes (with a paper towel underneath it), and then you put it wherever you want it. I've heard that they are also good for women in labor.
I decided to make a small one for Drew and put it in the freezer for when he gets a bump. I cut a 6 inch by 12 inch piece of fabric for his (r)ice pack, and I used a cup and a half of rice to fill it. I made this rice bag for Jim's aunt. I used a 25 inch by 12 inch piece of fabric here, and I used six cups of rice (a cup and a half in each section).
Here they are together.
These are a fun little gift idea or something nice to make to pamper yourself. I still need to make one for myself!

No comments: